The recruiting dead period officially ended at midnight on Jan. 11 and National Signing Day is less than a month away. Alabama will be hot on the recruiting trail. The Crimson Tide will host at least 11 prospects next weekend as recruiting season heats up.
Here is the latest on Alabama’s recruiting prospects less than a month out from signing day. All star ratings and rankings come from the 247Sports composite:
- One of the biggest moves ahead of signing day Alabama was made was a coaching hire, in Jeff Banks, the new special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator.
SOURCES: Former #TAMU special teams coordinator & recruiting coordinator Jeff Banks will become the new STC for #Alabama. Banks also had been one of the Aggies top recruiters, helped land Christian Kirk.
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) January 12, 2018
- Five-star recruit Patrick Surtain Jr. will visit Alabama on Jan. 19, according to 247 Sports. The No. 6 ranked recruit in the nation and the top cornerback in the 2018 class visited LSU this weekend, the school that is the favorite to land Surtain, according to 247 crystal ball predictions. The 6-1/225-pound prospect would be a huge addition to an Alabama secondary that is going to lose a lot of depth at the position.
- Surtain will be joined by Tyson Campbell, the No. 27 and No. 3 cornerback recruit, according to 247. Miami is currently seen as the favorite for the CB from Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
— PS2 (@SurtainJr) January 14, 2018
- Alabama only just offered cornerback Eddie Smith on Jan. 11. But the offer made an impression. Smith named Alabama, along with Tennessee, Miss. State and Missouri in his top four. TCU had been seen as the favorite to land the No. 741 recruit in the 2018 cycle, but with the Horned Frogs out of the top four, the crystal ball picks are trending in Alabama’s direction, despite the late offer. Smith will visit Alabama on Jan. 26.
I would like to thank all of the Universities that have offered me, but i will be focusing on these four schools for the rest of my recruitment process… (no specific order) pic.twitter.com/Vn2c2BdfZ3
— gods gift 8️⃣ (@eddiesmith_8) January 15, 2018
- With Jeremy Pruitt leaving Alabama to take the head coach position at Tennessee, it has put the recruitment of outside linebacker Quay Walker in jeopardy for the Crimson Tide. Walker visited the Volunteers this weekend and is seen a candidate to flip from Alabama on signing day. The No. 3-ranked OLB will visit with both Alabama and Georgia this weekend, Auburn on Jan. 26 and the Gators get his final visit before signing day on Feb. 2. Walker has stated his connections with coaches during his visit will help determine which school he ends up selecting.
4-star LB Quay Walker is still committed to #RollTide, but #Auburn, #Gators, #GoDawgs and #Vols are still in play. Walker said, "When I go on my official visits I will be looking for coaches I can trust and how I connect with the team."
— Chad Simmons (@ChadSimmons_) January 3, 2018
- Despite committing to the Crimson Tide on Sept. 15, Vernon Jackson took a visit with the Texas Longhorns this weekend. The three-star recruit will visit Alabama next weekend, before making visits to TCU and Texas A&M the final two weekends before signing day. He played quarterback in high school but projects to play linebacker at Alabama. Jackson, from Boling, Texas, has three of his final four visits in his home state.
— action_jackson™ (@vjackkk) January 13, 2018
- Originally a Gator commit, wide receiver Jacob Copeland de-committed from the Gators following the firing of Jim McElwain. He had been trending towards Alabama, until Pruitt took the head coaching position at Tennessee, which has helped the Vols enter the picture for the No. 54-ranked recruit in the nation. Alabama may have helped its cause by calling Copeland right after the Crimson Tide clinched the National Championship last month. The 247 crystal ball is pretty evenly split between Florida and Alabama for the four-star recruit. Copeland visits Alabama on Jan. 26 and Florida on Feb. 2. Those two visits could help determine which program Copeland ends up committing to.
Them folks just called me after that huge win! 😳 #RollTide
— Jacob Copeland 🐐 (@JCope1era) January 9, 2018
- In non-2018 recruiting news, wide receiver Dazalin Worsham received an offer from Alabama this weekend. The four-star recruit in the 2020 class is a Trussville native and holds offers from nine SEC schools already.
— Dazalin Worsham❄️ (@dazalin4) January 12, 2018