Alabama practiced outside in full pads Tuesday afternoon for its second day of preparation leading up to Ole Miss on Saturday.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Nick Saban and Alabama’s secondary started working on coverages specific to Ole Miss. Multiple players wore different jerseys numbers than normal to represent Rebels wide receivers: No. 1 for A.J. Brown, No. 5 for DaMarkus Lodge and No. 14 D.K. Metcalf. You can read about the challenge those three will present Alabama here. Patrick Surtain II was also seen getting reps with the first-team defense.
- Inside linebackers, led my Mack Wilson and Dylan Moses, worked through a drill at the start of the viewing period that focused on fumble recovery. The players would chase after a loose ball after shuffling through the dummies.
- Anfernee Jennings and Christian Miller took the outside linebackers through drills defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi instructed. Lupoi repeated yelled, “Fundamentals, fellas!” at the players and would tell them what to fix in the moment.
- Defensive lineman Stephon Wynn Jr. traded out the black non-contact jersey for a normal red one finally.
- The running backs worked on the sleigh to practice blocking during the first part of the viewing period. Damien Harris was the first one to attack the sleigh, and he definitely lifted it pretty high up. The position group later worked with the quarterbacks.
- Offensive lineman Matt Womack was seen afterward riding around the complex indoors on a scooter. Remember he broke his foot back in fall camp.
Overheard: “Power does not come your upper body,” Lupoid said during a drill.
That’s it for Tuesday. There will be more practice notes Wednesday afternoon and Saban will address the media afterward.