Alabama was chased inside today by rain in Tuscaloosa. This was a standard practice in full pads otherwise as the Crimson Tide continued its bye week. We only saw one period of practice so there was no difference to us, but players earlier this week told us they’d begin gameplan and installation about now.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Jalen Hurts (high ankle sprain) is still out. We’ll see if he returns to practice on Monday.
- Wide receiver DeVonta Smith (pulled hamstring) was dressed and participating with the wide receivers in some early individual drills, but none of the receivers were really cutting or running full speed. Hard to tell if he was doing more than what he had done previously based on the sample size we got.
- Tua Tagovailoa still has a brace on his right knee and was standing up during warm-ups when the other quarterbacks were throwing from their knees. As noted many times before, that’s been the case for a couple weeks now.
- Suspended offensive lineman Hunter Brannon (arrested for DUI this weekend) has not been at practice, if you’ve been curious.
- Defensive back Shyheim Carter doesn’t have a wrap or a club on his hand anymore. Haven’t noticed that until today but it’s been a while since he hasn’t had his hand wrapped up in practice.
- Tight end Kedrick James (high ankle sprain) still has some extra wrap on his right leg, but this is just his first week back from injury.
That’s all for today. We’ll see you on Monday.