Alabama started its preparation for the Iron Bowl on Monday, hosting its first practice since defeating The Citadel over the weekend. The Crimson Tide was in shirts and shorts.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Linebacker Terrell Lewis was seen walking around the practice field in a T-shirt and shorts with an athletic trainer. Lewis is recovering from an ACL injury he sustained during the summer.
- Left guard Deonte Brown (turf toe) was taking reps with the second team, while Lester Cotton Sr. was with the first team. Right guard Alex Leatherwood (sprained ankle) was not seen at practice, so Joshua Casher was with the first team.
- Quarterback Jalen Hurts (high ankle sprain) did not appear limited. He participated in warm-ups and drills just like everyone else. Hurts played against The Citadel, completing 3 of his 4 passes for 31 yards and a touchdown.
- Defensive back Deionte Thompson looked fine going through drills. He spoke to the media before practice and said this about his knee, “It’s feeling pretty good. I just took a shot to the knee. I could have easily come back in the game but they held me out. I’ll be ready to play this week.”
- Damien Harris (concussion) was not seen at practice. The running backs were on the far side of the field. Looked like Najee Harris was leading the group through drills.
- Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa‘s family was at practice.
- A full injury update from Saban can be found here.
That’s it for Monday. There will be more practice notes Tuesday.