Alabama held its 11th spring practice Friday afternoon, working outside in shorts and shells. UA was also hosting its 2019 Clinic of Champions, so there many, many football coaches from all over in attendance and scattered along the sidelines. With that being said, it was hard to get a good view of the Crimson Tide at times during the single media-viewing period.
Here’s what was seen anyway:
- Henry Ruggs III was once again back at practice, so we’ll stop mentioning his presence unless something else out of the ordinary happens. He was out on Saturday and Monday while attending a family funeral in Montgomery.
- Dylan Moses and Joshua McMillon led the inside linebackers through drills, followed by Shane Lee and Markail Benton. Remember Nick Saban called out this specific position group after Alabama’s first spring scrimmage, looking for improvement.
- Speaking of the head coach, Saban was watching over the defensive backs. Xavier McKinney and Shyheim Carter (still in a non-contact black jersey) were the first pair to go through drills. Patrick Surtain II and Jared Mayden were second, and then Nigel Knott and Trevon Diggs went third. Jalyn Armour–Davis was participating but wore a right knee brace; not sure if he has had that on all spring or not.
- The offensive line worked in pairs, but one was called upon first to block. Alex Leatherwood and Chris Owens were the first dup. Then Scott Lashley and Matt Womack (so, yes, he was participating this practice) went, followed by Pierce Quick and Deonte Brown.
- Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones continue to the lead the quarterbacks. That group threw reps to both the wide receivers and tight ends. DeVonta Smith and Ruggs were the first to go, though.
Here you can see Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones lead the Alabama quarterbacks, as they throw to wide receivers and tight ends at today’s practice. pic.twitter.com/wBJYSokdoh
— Terrin Waack (@terrinvictoria) April 5, 2019
That’s it for Friday. Alabama has its second scrimmage Saturday afternoon in Bryant-Denny Stadium. Be sure to check back for updates then.