Alabama’s open practice Saturday was interrupted by lightning briefly, but the Crimson Tide worked approximately two hours and 10 minutes at Bryant-Denny Stadium, often in heavy rain.
There was, of course, no depth chart for the first practice and the players were not in full pads. Judging simply by alignment in the early drills, the first units included:
• Offensive line (left to right): Alex Leatherwood, Emil Ekiyor, Chris Owens, Matt Womack, Jedrick Wills
• Tight End: Major Tennison
• Wide Receivers: Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, DeVonta Smith
• Running back Najee Harris
• Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa
• Defensive line: Raekwon Davis, DJ Dale, Justin Eboigbe
• Outside Linebacker: Anfernee Jennings, Terrell Lewis
• Inside Linebacker: Dylan Moses, Joshua McMillon
• Cornerback: Trevon Diggs, Patrick Surtain II
• Safety: Xavier McKinney, Shyheim Carter
There was no placekicking in the practice but freshman Will Reichard and sophomore Skyler DeLong both looked solid in punting drills.
Saban addressed a few injuries during Saturday morning’s press conference. Tight end Miller Forristall had a foot injury and was slowed for part of the summer and likely will be back in a few days.
Defensive lineman LaBryan Ray had an ankle injury over the summer but should be back in a week or so.
Saban said Nigel Knott has some medical issues he’s trying to work through and “it hasn’t been determined when he will be able to get on the field and go to work.”