On a week that America was celebrating the number four, so was Alabama football.
The Crimson Tide football program picked up 4 new commitments this past week. Additionally, picking up a basketball commitment during the week as well. The reigning national champions made it to the top of several elite 2020 recruits lists over the holiday week.
Here is the latest on Alabama’s recruiting prospects. Star ratings and rankings come from the 247Sports composite:
- Calera defensive tackle Jayson Jones, the No. 1 player in the state in the 2020 class, committed to the Crimson Tide on Monday after a head fake to Georgia. Jones is the No. 3 defensive tackle and the No. 55 player overall. He picked Alabama over Georgia among many other offers.
The COMMITMENT: https://t.co/nXFVhIxI8w
— Jayson Elijah Jones (@JaysonJCE) July 2, 2018
- Byron Young, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound defensive end from West Jones High School in Laurel, Mississippi, committed to the Crimson Tide late on Tuesday. Young is the No. 9 rated strong-side defensive end and the No. 9 rated player from Mississippi from the 2019 class.
— Byron Young (@ByronYoung19) July 4, 2018
- Alabama landed the commitment of 2019 wide receiver John Metchie on Friday afternoon. Metchie is the No. 42 wide receiver in the class of 2019 in the 247Sports Composite. He’s a four-star recruit and the No. 276 overall player in the class.
COMMITTED. “We do it for our city” pic.twitter.com/RpG5UfaVuC
— John Jr 〽️etchie III (@Metchie_Jr) July 6, 2018
- The University of Alabama football program picked up its 20th overall commitment for the 2019 recruiting class on Friday night as Jahleel Billingsley, a four-star tight end from Chicago, chose the Crimson Tide over Florida and several other suitors.
— JahleelBillingsley🌟 (@JahleelKnowsss) July 6, 2018
- The reigning National Champions made it to the top-10 for four-star safety, Noa Pola. The 6-foot-2 safety from Arizona is the No. 21 rated safety and the No. 7 player in the Grand Canyon state.
This recruiting journey has been a trip but I’m thankful for all the love. God has guided all of my footsteps and I’m excited to see His plans for me. As awkward as this feels, I am publicly announcing my Top 10 pic.twitter.com/9Yo6tCMllY
— SlickBack++•🇦🇸 (@NoaPola) July 7, 2018
- The Crimson Tide have made it to the top 10 for 2020 five-star St. John’s College High School outside linebacker, Mekhail Sherman. Sherman is the No. 17 overall player, the No. 2 rated outside linebacker and the No. 1 player from the DC area in his class.
Sorry For The Wait…… pic.twitter.com/KeWfQ4i5HB
— Mekhail Sherman🌹 (@JuicedUpK9) July 2, 2018
- Alabama made the top three for 2020 five-star cornerback Dwight McGlothern. The rising junior is the No. 28 player overall, the No. 3 ranked corner and the No. 3 player in Texas.
TOP 13 , I Love Y’all . #2020vision 🍿🎥 pic.twitter.com/jZmOtxlx6Z
— Dwight McGlothern jrⓂ️ (@DMcglothern2) July 8, 2018
- Football wasn’t the only team getting commitments this past week as Avery Johnson’s program picked up its first commitment for the 2019 cycle when small forward Diante Smith picked the Crimson Tide. Smith is a three-star in the 2019 class and is the No. 15 ranked player from the state of Florida.
COMMITTED 🐘‼️ #RTR ‼️ S/O @jdotschultz for the video 🎥‼️ pic.twitter.com/5EHzJkEgi6
— Diante Smith DS5™ (@D5SHOW) July 4, 2018