Practice notes today were a little tricky, with hundreds of extra coaches ringed around the Thomas-Drew Practice Fields while visiting for Alabama’s annual coaching clinic. We saw one period of practice and our sight lines at practice were rather limited because of the extra guests.
- The coaching clinic was headlined by Dan Quinn (Falcons head coach), Bill O’Brien (Texans head coach), Ken Niumatalolo (Navy head coach), David Cutcliffe (Duke head coach) and Tony Sparano (Vikings offensive line coach). It was hard to guess, but I’d say there were 300-500 coaches who were guests at practice for the coaching clinic today. Trying to write down all of the local high schools or smaller colleges represented would have been futile, but it was a packed house.
- The offensive line and tight ends were working on some combo blocks today. Miller Forristall and Matt Womack were working together in one pair, with Hale Hentges and Alex Leatherwood in another pair, and Ronnie Clark with Elliot Baker also paired up.
- Forristall continues to look like a player who’s really coming along. I’d look for him during the A-Day game to see if he might take on the role of the primary tight end next season. He spoke with the media earlier this week. You can check out the video here and the story about his expectations and goals here.
- The running backs were working through drills in the same order, led by Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough. B.J. Emmons and Scarbrough were both in black jerseys. But Emmons and Scarbrough looked like they were doing all of the individual drills.
- Shaun Dion Hamilton and Jared Mayden were still in black jerseys, still working with Jeff Allen.
- Isaiah Buggs is another guy who has stood out to me during a couple of practices. He definitely has the power to generate some push. He’s an explosive guy for someone his size.
- Did manage to catch Marlon Humphrey floating around outside the football facility today. May have been more players there but it was hard to tell with all the coaches.