Things are looking more and more solid as Alabama gets closer to its opener against No. 3 FSU one week from today. Here are some observations from Alabama’s last practice before the Crimson Tide gets into its first game week. Alabama was working outside in shells (helmets, shoulder pads, shorts) today.
- Cornerback still seems like one of the most competitive positions on the team. Anthony Averett clearly has one job but Levi Wallace and Trevon Diggs were trading out reps as UA worked its nickel and dime packages.
- Speaking of the nickel and dime packages, they looked the same. No personnel changes there from what we’ve been reporting most of fall camp.
- Christian Miller appeared a little limited during the portion I saw, but I didn’t spend too much time with the OLBs. Rashaan Evans was working with the OLBs today during the viewing period as he continues to cross train.
- While I was there, the OLBs were working on their burst off the line of scrimmage. Tosh Lupoi told Anfernee Jennings that he wanted to see his “12.6 (second) 100 (meter) speed.”
- The defensive line was doing a bag drill with a shuttle through some bags on the ground, then hitting a couple of tackling dummies. Da’Ron Payne was the first one through and it sure looked like he was the fastest of all of them. He’s so explosive, and not just for a guy his size. He’s explosive period.
- Nothing new in the Matt Womack/Jedrick Wills battle at right tackle. Looked like the same arrangement we’ve seen with Womack working with the starters as we watched.
- During another drill, about a half-dozen offensive linemen went over to work with the outside linebackers. Scott Lashley, Hunter Brannon, Elliot Baker, Deonte Brown, Kendall Randolph and Richie Petitbon were in that group. Could mean that none of those guys is currently in the two-deep since the rest of the o-line was working elsewhere during that drill.
- Josh Jacobs (hamstring) was back at practice today but was the fourth player through the RB drills.
- Lots of recruits and their families were at practice today. They were mostly separated from us so we couldn’t see their names but there were at least 15-20 players. Alabama had its hostesses speaking with the recruits and their families as practice started.
- Some scout team numbers: one of the RBs was wearing No. 9 (Jacques Patrick). Some WRs were wearing No. 11 (George Campbell) and No. 89 (Keith Gavin).
- Baseball coach Brad Bohannon and assistant Jerry Zulli both brought a couple recruits over to practice today, and pitching coach Jason Jackson was showing another recruit around the baseball stadium. Probably a big weekend for their recruiting too.