Alabama football was working in full pads inside today as it rained in Tuscaloosa. Today was also Law Enforcement Day, with lots of police officers, state troopers, dispatchers and other law enforcement personnel on the sidelines of the indoor facility.
Here are my observations from the open period of practice:
- Linebacker VanDarius Cowan was back at practice today after missing a couple days due to academics. He was running with the third team of inside linebackers, paired with Ben Davis.
- Quarterback Tua Tagovailoa was dressed and appeared to be participating in most drills, though there were times he was with athletic trainer Jeff Allen. At one point, Allen appeared to be checking his grip strength on the ball. Allen watched him through all of the drills we saw during the viewing period.
- I got a look at one grouping in the nickel package today. What appeared to be the first team was Saivion Smith and Trevon Diggs at corner, Shyheim Carter at star, with Deionte Thompson and Xavier McKinney at safety.
- Butch Jones was checking out practice with Burton Burns today. If you missed it, here’s Jones’ salary on staff at Alabama.
- The running backs were led by Damien Harris, followed by Najee Harris and Brian Robinson. Former Alabama running back Bo Scarbrough was checking out practice as well.