Alabama went through its 11th spring practice today in shorts rather than full pads in preparation for tomorrow’s scrimmage. That’ll be the second scrimmage and 12th practice of spring heading into the final week.
- Today was Alabama’s annual clinic for high school coaches, which hosts hundreds and hundreds of high school coaches on campus. Among the speakers Nick Saban mentioned on Wednesday were Eagles head coach Doug Pederson, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen, consultant Kevin Elko, Temple head coach Geoff Collins, Troy head coach Neal Brown and Packers special teams coach Ron Zook. The coaching clinic means that it can be hard to get a good view of practice with so many bodies lining the sidelines at practice.
- With Jerry Jeudy and Tyrell Shavers both out, Devonta Smith and Henry Ruggs led two lines of wide receivers through drills. They were followed by Derek Kief and Xavian Marks, then a pair of walk-ons. That group is thin right now.
- We saw the offensive line combination of Alex Leatherwood at right tackle with Jedrick Wills at right guard again. They were working in groups of threes; on the left side in another group was Jonah Williams and Lester Cotton.
- Early enrollee defensive lineman Stephon Wynn is a big fella. He’s listed at 6-4/308 but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s closer to 320. May need to lose a little weight but he stands out physically in that group. He also looks like he’s in his late 30s at least.
- The quarterbacks, receivers and running backs were working on timing on some quick outs as we left. Mostly just the quarterback swinging the ball outside where the receiver had some blockers ahead of him.
Weather for tomorrow’s scrimmage looks dicey in Tuscaloosa, but we’ll keep you updated. Check back here in the afternoon.