Today is the final day of the acclimatization period for Alabama football in fall camp. The Crimson Tide was practicing outside in shoulder pads, but not full pads. They can go in full pads tomorrow for the first time. It’s a hot day in Tuscaloosa and though it was sunny as they started practice, you could hear some thunder rolling in.
Here are some observations from the open period of practice:
- No change with the quarterbacks. I could probably include this with every set of practice notes, and probably will just to prevent the questions.
- Ben Davis continued to practice with the outside linebackers while Chris Allen stayed with the inside linebackers. Yesterday was the first time we saw that. We’ll see if it’s a permanent move or if it’s just cross-training players to be prepared at both positions.
- I hadn’t gotten a good look at the tight ends until today. Here’s the order they were in as the worked through drills two at a time: Hale Hentges and Irv Smith Jr. were first, followed by Kedrick James and Miller Forristall, then Major Tennison and freshman Michael Parker.
- Among the defensive linemen, junior college transfer Tevita Musika is still one of the last players through drills. We haven’t seen them do much in terms of contact, and it’s still early. That’s not to be unexpected for a guy who wasn’t in camp in spring.
- On the other hand Phidarian Mathis is working with the second string on the defensive line (with Johnny Dwight and LaBryan Ray) and has looked good when I’ve seen him going through drills. Good quickness and footwork.
- The Steelers, Bills and Lions had scouts at today’s practice. The scout from Detroit was their assistant director of college scouting.
- Former Alabama AD Hootie Ingram was also at practice.