Big day for Alabama athletics today with the announcement of the new fundraising initiative for facility upgrades all over campus, but it was also business as usual on the practice field. Alabama was out there for its 12th practice of fall camp, battling against 92 degree heat in full pads.
Here are some notes from the open period:
- Freshman linebacker Ale Kaho was working in full pads for the first time today after completing the acclimatization period. He appeared to be with the 3rd team at inside linebacker. We’ll see if he moves up at all after Saturday’s scrimmage, but this is still very early for him.
- Another freshman does seem to be moving up. We saw Patrick Surtain Jr. taking snaps at star with the first team defense during a nickel drill. The rest of the formation was unchanged, with Xavier McKinney and Deionte Thompson at safety while Trevon Diggs and Saivion Smith were the cornerbacks.
- Still no Najee Harris at practice today. I would assume Nick Saban will address his injury during his press conference after practice.
- Took a look at the outside linebackers and Eyabi Anoma was just ahead of Cameron Latu in individual drills. Might not mean anything, but I believe Latu was ahead of Anoma in drills the last few days.
- Didn’t appear to be any changes with the quarterback drills.
Sorry to cut these short today. Have to go write the story about the Bryant-Denny Stadium renovations, then get to Nick Saban’s press conference.