Alabama went inside today for practice on its last day of work before the standard game week schedule kicks in. The team will not be practicing tomorrow, then resume its weekly schedule on Monday.
The Crimson Tide was in shoulder pads and basketball shorts for practice today. Here are some observations from the open period:
- Injury updates: Najee Harris (foot) was dressed and participating again during running back drills. Defensive linemen Johnny Dwight (unknown) and Stephon Wynn (leg strain) were both out. It did look like Raekwon Davis and Isaiah Buggs were fine and going through drills when I checked on the defensive line. They were both dressed all week but it looked like they were off to the side once or twice on previous days.
- Some more scout team updates: Offensive linemen Hunter Brannon, Kendall Randolph, Elliot Baker and Tommy Brown were all doing some scout team work with the outside linebackers. The first three guys on that list redshirted last season, while it looks like Tommy Brown is probably headed for one this year.
- Another freshman update: Looked like Emil Ekiyor was getting snaps with the second team offensive line at center.
- The secondary was doing some work in dime today with the following personnel: Deionte Thompson and Jared Mayden at safety, Saivion Smith and Patrick Surtain Jr. at cornerback, Shyheim Carter at star and Xavier McKinney at money. Trevon Diggs was dressed but appeared to not be wearing cleats, so not sure how much he was doing today.
- In one of those dime packages, Mack Wilson was lined up outside against a scout team running back. That seems like something Bobby Petrino might have shown on film before.
- The second team dime package included Josh Jobe. I’d say he has a very good shot of playing this year as well.
We’ll be back on Monday to start game week coverage. See you all then.