Game week! It’s begun!
OK, so Alabama’s game planning for Louisville technically began last week, but this begins the first week that will break down in the same way that we can get used to for the next three months. Alabama was practicing outside this afternoon in full pads to start the week.
- Good news on the injury front: Freshman defensive lineman Stephon Wynn (leg strain) was spotted before practice in a black jersey. He wasn’t doing defensive line drills with his teammates but seeing him in a black jersey is progress from where he had been.
- More good news: Johnny Dwight was back at practice after being absent a couple days last week. Najee Harris (foot) was going through drills with the running backs, as he was last week.
- A walk-on defensive linemen fell out during the viewing period. I didn’t see whether it was the result of a hit or just the heat but the trainers were on him in seconds. He was able to walk inside under his own power after remaining down for a few minutes.
- We’ve seen some wild looks from the secondary when they go into nickel and dime packages. It can be hard to tell who is playing inside or outside because they’re simulating so much movement. Dylan Moses was lined up outside at one point today. We saw Trevon Diggs outside, Shyheim Carter inside, Deionte Thompson in the slot, Patrick Surtain at corner and Saivion Smith at corner. A lot going on.
- Make sure you check out the updated depth chart, which reflects what we received this morning from Saban.
- Former Alabama quarterback John Parker Wilson, now on the radio crew for the broadcasts, was checking out practice.
- The Giants and Texans had scouts at practice today.
Tosh Lupoi to the linebackers: “Constant, constant attack on the ball!” pic.twitter.com/xEOt54WPHz
— Terrin Waack (@terrinvictoria) August 27, 2018
That’s it for now. We’ll be back tomorrow.