Alabama had a standard, full-pads practice on Tuesday in advance of its game against Louisville on Saturday. The team was working inside (Camping World Stadium is a turf field).
Here are some notes from the open period:
- Saw freshman defensive lineman Stephon Wynn (leg strain) in a black jersey before practice again today. He wasn’t out there during the viewing period, same as yesterday.
- This won’t surprise anyone but Najee Harris‘ feet are crazy quick. We were walking by the running backs doing a drill on our way into practice, and it was clear as day to see how much quicker his feet were going through it than anyone behind him. It was something else to see once you knew to watch for that little detail.
- The money defense (dime package) didn’t include Patrick Surtain Jr. during the open period. It had Mack Wilson as the lone linebacker, with Shyheim Carter and Xavier McKinney working inside. Trevon Diggs and Saivion Smith were at cornerback. Jared Mayden and Deionte Thompson were the safeties.
- While Wilson was running the money defense on one side of the field, Dylan Moses and Josh McMillon were with the defensive front doing another drill together. Tosh Lupoi ran that drill.
- Paul Bryant Jr. was checking out practice today.
That’s it for today. We’ll have more practice notes tomorrow before Nick Saban’s press conference.