It was a hot day outside as Alabama continued its practice for Texas A&M in Tuscaloosa. Hot enough that the athletic trainers were driving the golf carts with the water sprayers around to keep guys cool. They went in full pads today, which couldn’t have helped.
Here are some notes from the viewing period:
- As mentioned yesterday, Alabama is pretty healthy at the moment. Part of that is likely due to playing in blowouts that kept the starters off the field for the later parts of all three games.
- Did notice that Shyheim Carter had a heavy wrap on his hand. He was dressed and participating in drills with the defensive backs in his usual spots but I doubt he’d be catching any interceptions with that thing.
- Also as mentioned yesterday, still no Matt Womack (foot). The second team offensive line, left to right, was Richie Petitbon, Deonte Brown, Chris Owens, Josh Casher and Scott Lashley.
- When I took a look at the first team offensive line, Jedrick Wills and Alex Leatherwood were working on a drill where Wills chipped the man on the inside before switching to pick up someone coming from the outside.
- It appeared that Saivion Smith and Patrick Surtain Jr. were alternating reps at cornerback when Alabama worked its nickel package. One player would shadow the other, then switch off while I was watching them. Smith continued to play cornerback when Alabama used its dime package.
- You could tell the secondary and linebackers were getting more looks from the scout team in practice this week compared to last week’s preparation. More motions, more tight ends, more unbalanced formations, stuff like that.
- The Seattle Seahawks had a scout at practice today.
We’ll be back tomorrow. Nick Saban speaks to the media in the evening after practice.