It’s been another hot day in Tuscaloosa, but that didn’t matter as Alabama went inside for practice this afternoon. That’s a little unusual given that the game will be outside on grass on Saturday, but may have been a decision to keep guys fresh for the game.
Alabama was in full pads for its third practice of the week. Here are some observations from the open period:
- Offensive tackle Matt Womack (foot) was back at practice for the first time today since he re-injured his foot during fall camp. He was working with athletic trainer Jeff Allen at the start of practice.
- Defensive back Shyheim Carter still had a heavy wrap on one had, but was participating during individual drills with the DBs and was in his usual place when Alabama lined up in nickel and dime packages.
- Speaking of nickel and dime, Alabama has done more shuffling of its DBs from regular to nickel to dime this year than in the years since I’ve been here (2015 was my first year). It’s a little unusual for them to be dropping a safety (Xavier McKinney) down to money and moving Carter from star to safety in dime. Just a lot more movement going on.
- Patrick Surtain Jr. continued to get reps with the first team defense at cornerback.
- Saw defensive end Raekwon Davis lining up at nose tackle some today. It wouldn’t be the first time he’s done that, and Quinnen Williams was there and was fine. Just something I noticed.
- The Houston Texans had a scout at practice today.
That’s it for now. We’ll be back in a couple hours with updates from Nick Saban.