It’s been rainy all day in Tuscaloosa, so Alabama was inside for a standard day of Wednesday practice this afternoon. The team was working in full pads on the final day with a viewing period before the game against Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Overall, very little was changed from yesterday’s open period. Didn’t notice any absences or injuries.
- As we said yesterday, Matt Womack (foot) continued to work his way back in. I didn’t see Richie Petitbon working at right tackle with the second team offensive line today, but it might have been that he rotated in while I wasn’t watching.
- A couple folks have asked if Womack could potentially help out at guard. We have not seen him working there since he came back.
- Coaches seemed to be doing a good job of keeping the energy up. Alabama had Monday off with a light walk-through rather than practice. From the limited portion we’ve seen, practice has gone well. Imagine we’ll get an update from Nick Saban on how it has been tonight.
- Jalen Hurts continues to practice (as expected, as we said yesterday). As you might have heard, Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant announced this morning that he would seek a transfer. That means his season is done as he preserves his redshirt. But it was business as usual for Jalen.
- Shyheim Carter still has a heavy wrap on his right hand but continues to practice and appears to be fine.
- Saivion Smith had a nice one-handed interception during one-on-ones early in the viewing period.
- It’s really incredible when you see how big Trevon Diggs and Patrick Surtain Jr. are in person. Corners just aren’t usually that size, even at Alabama. Marlon Humphrey was a big corner but he played alongside Cyrus Jones and Anthony Averett, neither of which were oversized guys. The length you see on Alabama’s top two corners is really impressive.
- Had another look at the dime package today, and it remains unchanged. Like we said to begin, not a lot new to report today.
- The Tampa Bay Bucs had a scout at practice today.
That’s all for now. Back at about 6:00 with updates from Nick Saban.