Alabama was back at work outdoors on a hot afternoon for its game against Arkansas on Saturday. This was a standard Wednesday practice in full pads, though it’s been much warmer than usual all week here.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Didn’t see sophomore safety Daniel Wright. He’s not a starter and doesn’t figure into the nickel or dime package, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. He had a shoulder injury in fall camp that could have knocked him out for the season but has played in four games this season (so he’d still be eligible for a redshirt).
- Alabama coach Nick Saban gave an update on Wright’s absence after practice: “He’s suspended from the team. Violation of team rules.”
- Left tackle Jonah Williams (ankle) did do some work during the open period, though he also appeared a little limited at times. During some reps with the offensive line he would line up normally, but not participate, as if to get mental reps.
- Nick Saban’s update on Jonah Williams this morning: “We think he’ll be able to play in the game but it’s probably a little bit of a question mark right now.”
- With Williams back on the first team, Matt Womack was working with the second team again. Left to right, that unit was Scott Lashley, Deonte Brown, Chris Owens, Joshua Casher and Womack.
- The Tennessee Titans had a scout at practice today.
Nick Saban’s press conference is coming up around 6:00 p.m. central. Stay tuned.