Alabama remained outside today despite a light drizzle falling as practice began. This was a standard Wednesday practice in full pads for the Crimson Tide before Saturday’s game against Missouri.
Here are some notes from the open period:
- The first team nickel defense without Trevon Diggs looked like this: Saivion Smith and Patrick Surtain Jr. at cornerback. Shyheim Carter at nickel. Xavier McKinney and Deionte Thompson at safety.
- The first team dime package: Saivion Smith and Patrick Surtain Jr. at corner (this was the same alignment they used even with Diggs healthy), then Shyheim Carter and Xavier McKinney playing the two slots. Jared Mayden came on to play safety alongside Deionte Thompson.
- The second team dime package: Josh Jobe and Nigel Knott at cornerback with Kyriq McDonald and D.J. Lewis playing the slot. Keaton Anderson and true freshman Eddie Smith were at safety. That group is pretty thin.
- On the offensive line, Lester Cotton was dressed and with the unit but I didn’t see him take any reps. Deonte Brown played left guard in his place while the rest of the first team offensive line was unchanged.
- The second team offensive line had some shuffling with Brown moving up. Joshua Casher moved from right guard to left guard and freshman center Emil Ekiyor played right guard.
- Ekiyor also took some snaps at center with Casher at right guard and Matt Womack at right tackle in a three-man group that looked more like Alabama’s standard second team.
- Tua Tagovailoa was dressed and practicing, same as yesterday, with a knee brace on. His dad was also checking out practice today.
- The Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Carolina Panthers and Green Bay Packers had scouts at practice today.
That’s all for now. Nick Saban speaks to the media a little before 6:00 tonight.