Alabama had its first day of practice during its off week today, returning to the practice fields in shoulder pads and shorts. Practice was outside on a cloudy day in Tuscaloosa.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- As expected, Jalen Hurts was not sighted during the viewing period (high ankle sprain). We’ll keep an eye out this week but don’t expect to see him in the next couple days. Jalen and Tua normally throw to each other to loosen up, so Tua was throwing to a student manager today.
- Wide receiver DeVonta Smith was at practice and dressed but didn’t see him do much. He was wearing one of the hamstring straps that we’ve seen players wear.
- On the positive side of things, tight end Kedrick James returned from his high ankle sprain and was at practice.
- Damien Harris led the running backs through drills. Nick Saban said yesterday that his status would be normal going forward after sitting out early on Saturday.
- The Bills and Broncos had scouts at practice today.
- Only one period of practice today, so we didn’t get to see any nickel or dime work, or a look at the offensive line working as a unit. Check back tomorrow for more updates.
That’s all for today.