Alabama had a standard practice outside in full pads today. Players we spoke to earlier today told us they were still working on fundamentals and hadn’t started on LSU preparation yet, though I’d guess that begins tomorrow.
Here are some observations from the open period.
- Lots of guests at practice today. Some of the donors to the Nick’s Kids Foundation were checking out practice today. John Parker Wilson was also there.
- Overall, the status from yesterday was mostly unchanged. Only one viewing period again today, so no chance to look at the offensive line as a five-man unit or the nickel/dime packages.
- Tua Tagovailoa continued to practice, though he was still standing during warm-ups while other quarterbacks threw from their knees. That’s been the case for a few weeks now.
- Jalen Hurts was absent (high ankle sprain) as was the case yesterday.
- DeVonta Smith was dressed out again today but didn’t see him doing much. We weren’t out there particularly long, so it was hard to tell if he was participating.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers had a scout at practice today.
- Defensive lineman Jamar King, who graduated last year, was also hanging out today.
That’s all for today. We’ll be back tomorrow about an hour earlier than usual.