Alabama continued its preparation for LSU today with a standard Wednesday practice in full pads outside. We only got one period of viewing so this will be a bit shorter than normal. Weather was a tad warm today but nothing too extreme.
Here are observations from the open period:
- Jalen Hurts (high ankle sprain) appeared to be limited in the small period we saw. He was with athletic trainer Jeff Allen, adjacent to the quarterbacks as they threw to get loose.
- Nick Saban had this update on Jalen earlier today: “I think Jalen’s starting to turn the corner, so he’s starting to be able to move around and do some things. It’s going to be a total confidence thing with him. Hopefully he’ll get out on the field today and be able to do a few things, and then we’ll just kind of go from there.”
- Wide receiver DeVonta Smith (pulled hamstring) appears to be practicing, though he may not be 100 percent at the moment.
- Here’s Saban discussing DeVonta Smith earlier today: “He’s practiced every day this week, and I think he’s making good progress. It’s just continue to go day to day and see how he improves through the course of the week and try to determine what his role can be in the game.”
- Tua Tagovailoa (knee) appears to be fine, and we’ll probably stop updating him next week unless something happens on Saturday.
- Tight end Miller Forristall continued to practice with a knee brace, as Terrin reported earlier this week.
- Looked like Lester Cotton remained with the second team at left guard while Deonte Brown was with the starters, but I only checked that group once and we had a shorter viewing. I could have missed them rotating or something else.
- Nick Saban turns 67 today, in case you’ve forgotten the man’s birthday.
Happy Birthday Coach! @EdgarsBakery #OutworkYesterday#RollTide pic.twitter.com/jlg2ebGzjo
— Alabama Football (@AlabamaFTBL) October 31, 2018
That’s all for now. We’ll be back later tonight after the final press conference of the week.