Alabama continued to practice inside on Wednesday in preparation for the SEC championship game against Georgia on Saturday, but there was one change: the team was in shorts and shoulder pads rather than full pads. Most Wednesday practices are held in full pads. Otherwise, things looked pretty standard.
Here are some observations from the open period:
- Terrell Lewis continued to practice with the outside linebackers, as we’ve reported this week. Stay tuned; I’m sure Nick Saban will be asked about him at his press conference around 6:00.
- With Lewis working at outside linebacker, Ben Davis was with the inside linebackers.
- Isaiah Buggs (hyperextended knee) practiced today, as he has all week. No change there.
- The nickel package looked pretty standard when Alabama worked on that briefly. No changes.
- The dime package was as follows: Savion Smith and Patrick Surtain Jr. at cornerback, Shyheim Carter at nickel, Xavier McKinney at money, with Deionte Thompson at one safety spot. The other safety position was occupied by Jared Mayden and Keaton Anderson. It looked like Mayden was shadowing Anderson to get some mental reps.
- Athletic director Greg Byrne was checking out practice.
- The Philadelphia Eagles had a scout at practice today.
That’s all for now. More from Nick Saban later tonight.