Alabama was back on the practice fields this afternoon for the 5th practice of spring, meaning the team is a third of the way through its spring football practice days. This was a full pads practice.
Here are some notes and observations from the open period:
- Still no Terrell Lewis, same as Terrin told you all on Friday. We saw him walking through the facility in shorts and flip flops as we headed outside.
- While he was out, Eyabi Anoma was the first SAM linebacker taking snaps. Mike Stoops was checking out the OLB group while I was outside. Freshman linebacker Kevin Harris was behind him, I believe.
- Still haven’t gotten a good enough look at five offensive linemen together to get an idea of who the next five are. Will keep trying on that for you guys.
- Worth mentioning: Including the walk ons, there are 7 quarterbacks out there at the moment. That’s as many as I can remember at any one point. Tua Tagovailoa was first, followed by Mac Jones and Taulia Tagovailoa.
- Here’s what the first three defensive line groups looked like. They were lined up in groups of three but I’m not sure whether the inside/outside breakdown here would be correct or not. We’ll find out after the scrimmage in a week, I suppose.
|First string||Raekwon Davis||LaBryan Ray||Phidarian Mathis|
|Second string||Christian Barmore||Tevita Musika||Stephon Wynn Jr.|
|Third string||Justin Eboigbe||Antonio Alfano||DJ Dale|
- I’d be a little surprised to see DJ Dale outside and Phidarian Mathis outside while LaBryan Ray is outside, but maybe I’m wrong. Antonio Alfano was moving really well in individual drills.
- Nick Saban continues to work with the defensive backs but Charles Kelly and Karl Scott are also with the group, so they had split up in two groups. Kelly and Scott handled one group while Saban had the other. The group with Saban was the starters, with Trevon Diggs, Shyheim Carter and Patrick Surtain II.
- The other group – with Kelly and Scott – had Josh Jobe at one cornerback spot, Jalyn Armour-Davis in the slot and Daniel Wright and Eddie Smith at safety.