Alabama held its seventh practice of spring outside in Tuscaloosa today. This was a full-pads practice and the final practice before the first scrimmage of spring, which will be held on Saturday.
Here are some notes and observations from the open period:
- Injury updates: Outside linebacker Terrell Lewis (ACL) was dressed out and watching practice, though he didn’t appear to be doing much. Shyheim Carter (hernia) was still in a black noncontact jersey. Xavier McKinney was not in black.
- We got out a little early today and saw some of the defense working on a turnover drill. They’d throw the ball to one side of the field and call out that a turnover had occurred, then all the defenders would turn toward the sideline and try to build a wall of blockers to help the DB (in this case) return the ball up the field.
- Looked like the defensive linemen were split up into two groups with one for defensive tackles and one for ends. One group included Tevita Musika (an obvious DT) with Stephon Wynn Jr. and Justin Eboigbe. The other included Raekwon Davis, LaBryan Ray, Christian Barmore and Phidarian Mathis. Would be interesting to see Mathis move back outside after playing inside last year, if that’s the case.
- Some notable attendees at practice today: Former Alabama QB and SEC Network analyst Greg McElroy was checking out practice. The SEC Network had a crew there that was filming for something. Former offensive linemen Jonah Williams and Ross Pierschbacher were also at practice.
- Paul Bryant Jr. was also checking out practice, tucked inconspicuously off to the side in a hat and sun glasses. Remember, quarterback Paul Tyson is on the team and enrolled for spring.
- Today appeared to be law enforcement day with several police officers, some folks from the sheriff’s department, some ATF officers and other law enforcement organizations checking out practice.
OK, I’ve got to get back to writing a basketball story. We’ll have some more notes on Saturday after the scrimmage.