Alabama is working at Bryant-Denny Stadium today for its first scrimmage of spring. This is also the Red Elephant Club scrimmage, so expect to see some tweets and leaks about what happens today from some people who get to watch. We are not permitted to stay and watch but will let you know what we hear later. Nick Saban will also speak to us after the scrimmage.
Here are some notes and observations from the open period:
- One notable absence: Henry Ruggs III wasn’t there while we were checking out the wide receivers. I believe he was at a funeral for a family member back home in Montgomery, but we ought to hear the official word from Nick Saban after the scrimmage. He spoke to us yesterday afternoon, and injured or suspended players don’t speak to the media, so there may not be anything wrong with him in this case.
- Perhaps not so surprising: Terrell Lewis was not with the OLBs as they warmed up. If Alabama is limiting him in spring, makes sense that he wouldn’t be participating in a scrimmage with so much contact.
- Lewis was off to the side on a stationary bike with Kedrick James and Ben Davis. They’re probably out for the day, too.
- Offensive lineman Matt Womack was dressed and working with the offensive linemen.
- Running back is obviously a bit thin this time of year with only three scholarship players. Took a look over there and realized Alabama has seven running backs at the moment, so they’re loaded up on walk-ons.
- Cameron Latu was still with the tight ends today and wearing an offensive jersey. Miller Forristall told us yesterday he didn’t know what the long-term plan was for Latu, but said he wouldn’t be surprised if he remained at tight end into the fall.That’s all for now. We’ll be back in a couple hours with updates from Saban.