Alabama held its second spring scrimmage Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium. It was mostly cloudy and 75 degrees outside. The Crimson Tide worked in full pads.
UA coach Nick Saban said Wednesday he wants his assistant coaches to back off the players during scrimmage to see what they can do on their own.
Remember, the media doesn’t get to watch the actual scrimmage. The viewing period is during warmups and drills. So a lot of what was seen might sounds familiar, like previous practice reports.
Here’s what was seen:
- Miller Forristall and Giles Amos led the tight ends through drills. Cameron Latu was also with this group rather than the linebackers, going third in line. Major Tennison stood nearby but did not appear to be not fully participating in drills. Kedrick James was riding the stationary bike.
- Tua Tagovailoa and Mac Jones were the first up for the quarterbacks. They threw to wide receivers DeVonta Smith and Henry Ruggs III first and then Tyrell Shavers and Slade Bolden right after. Then, Taulia Tagovailoa and Paul Tyson stepped up. Their targets were wide receivers Xavier Williams and John Metchie. That was the extent of Taulia’s and Tyson’s reps before Tua and Jones tossed up passes to Forristall and wide receiver Jerry Jeudy, then Amos and wide receiver Jaylen Waddle.
- Defensive coordinator Pete Golding was alongside the inside linebackers, which Dylan Moses led through drills. Joshua McMillon went right after Moses, then Markail Benton, Shane Lee, Jaylen Moody and Ale Kaho followed. After the Crimson Tide’s first scrimmage last week, Saban said he wanted to see more out of this position group.
- Ben Davis was out of the field, still sporting a black non-contact jersey, after being absent at practice this past week. We only saw him walking around the complex until now. Also, fellow linebacker Terrell Lewis was there and in a black non-contact jersey.
- Raekwon Davis, DJ Dale and LaBryan Ray were the first defensive lineman up in their drills, from right to left. Phidarian Mathis, Tevita Musika and Justin Eboigbe were the next trio.
- Xavier McKinney and Shyheim Carter (black non-contact jersey) were the first defensive back pairing to go through drills. Patrick Surtain II and Jared Mayden were second. Nigel Knott and Trevon Diggs were third. Daniel Wright and Jalyn Armour-Davis were fourth.
Saban will address the media after the Crimson Tide’s scrimmage around 3:15 p.m. Stay tuned for updates.
Catch up on previous practice reports below:
March 8, 2019
March 18, 2019
March 20, 2019
March 22, 2019
March 23, 2019
March 26, 2019
March 28, 2019
March 30, 2019
April 1, 2019
April 3, 2019
April 5, 2019