Impressive play in doubles and three wins from the back of the singles lineup propelled No. 26 Alabama to a 4-2 win over No. 18 South Carolina at the Alabama Tennis Stadium on Sunday.
The Crimson Tide’s (14-9, 4-7 SEC) victory on Sunday was the third win over a top-25 opponent after knocking off the 18th-ranked Gamecocks (15-7, 5-6 SEC). The victory also snapped a three-match losing streak for UA.
In doubles to begin the day, the No. 28 doubles duo in the country in Mazen Osama and Patrick Kaukovalta defeated No. 72 Jubb/Lambling, 6-3. The doubles point was clinched on court three where sophomore Sam Fischer was matched up with junior Zhe Zhou for the first time this season. The pair downed Pelletier/Rodrigues, 6-3, to give Alabama the 1-0 advantage.
The Gamecocks won easily in singles to take the 2-1 lead. The Tide got a straight-set win from Zhou 6-1, 6-4, over Joseph Brailovsky to tie the match at 2-2. Riccardo Roberto put UA back on top with his 6-2, 7-5, victory over Beau Pelletier on court four.
The match came down to Jeremy Gschwendtner taking on Thomas Brown. Gschwendtner won his first set easily before entering a second-set battle that went to a tiebreaker. In the tiebreak, the London, England, native gutted out a 7-5 victory to clinch his match 6-2, 7-6(5) and seal the 4-2 win for the Tide.
Next up, Alabama will close out its regular season against No. 44 Arkansas on Thursday at 6 p.m. at the Alabama Tennis Stadium. Thursday’s match will be Senior Night for Mazen Osama, who will be honored before the match.
- No. 28 Osama/Kaukovalta def. No. 72 Jubb/Lambling, 6-3
- Roberto/Ortiz vs. Beasley/Brailovsky, 5-3, unf.
- Fischer/Zhou def. Pelletier/Rodrigues, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3
- No. 6 Paul Jubb def. No. 48 Mazen Osama, 6-1, 6-1
- No. 113 Daniel Rodrigues vs. Edson Ortiz, 6-4, 5-6, unf.
- Raphael Lambling def. Patrick Kaukovalta, 6-1, 6-2
- Riccardo Roberto def. Beau Pelletier, 6-2, 7-5
- Zhe Zhou def. Joseph Brailovsky, 6-1, 6-4
- Jeremy Gschwendtner def. Thomas Brown, 6-2, 7-6(5)
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 4, 6